Monday, May 18, 2009

Field Trip Observations

Today marked the first day of the last week of school for AM. As is the custom in most schools, the entire last week will consist of field trips, movie watching, desk cleaning and other assortment of non-academic related good times.

I'm finally old enough that I ask "why do we bother with this week". When I was living the week (a long, long time ago. Back before Al Gore invented the internet......thanks Al!), the final week of school was like the appetizer for summer.

I do not have the same appreciation for this week, now that it means I have to buy MORE school lunch stuff when we've already maxed out the learning potential for the year.

Anywho, today was the field trip to the zoo, followed by a free-for-all-play-fest at the park across from the zoo.

While we were at the park (the zoo portion was relatively brief), I made some observations while the kids played. They are:

* it does not matter how many pieces of play equipment a park contains, young boys will still try to climb trees

* cities spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to provide active entertainment for kids by way of the park. Despite this, the item most played with, poked at, rolled around and tossed about was a used Sonic cup. I kid you not. I watched at least a handful of kids completely stop what they were doing to poke at this particular cup until there was little left of it.

* approximately nine kids can ride the rocking teeter-totter and even though it lists dramatically to one side, it still won't capsize.

* the same boys that pee on toilet seats and find flatulence top-rate comedy will cover their noses with their shirts and insist that we "hurry up" and get out of the smelly animal exhibits (zoo observation)

* squirrels in the park across from the Topeka zoo are rather bold. One walked so close to AM that I thought it was going to attack him. I do not know if squirrels attack, I only know that I believed it possible when this particular bushy-tailed tree rat was stalking my kid. (okay, this had nothing to do with the kids.........but seriously, this squirrel freaked me out!)

* for reasons unknown to me, kids will shriek at the top of their lungs when they go through the tunnel on the train in the park. Okay, I "get" that. They are kids and kids are prone to shrieking. What I do NOT get is WHY the "conductor" felt compelled to add to the noise volume by blowing the whistle.

* when faced with a choice, boys will jump on the retaining wall and run on it when racing a friend. Nope, can't run on the perfectly safe, even-leveled ground. They have to dash along a 12-inch wide section of shin-busting brick.

I'm certain I made more observations, but that's what I'm able to come up with right now. I need to go pack AM's lunch.

1 comment:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Funny stuff!

Packing School Lunches...I am soooo over it!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Oh, and have I mention just how much I hate squirrels? That would have put me over the edge and I would have spent the rest of the afternoon in the bus!