Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Straight talk for evangelicals

I think this article is, for the most part, spot-on. Particularly this paragraph:

The evangelical investment in moral, social, and political issues has depleted our resources and exposed our weaknesses. Being against gay marriage and being rhetorically pro-life will not make up for the fact that massive majorities of Evangelicals can't articulate the Gospel with any coherence. We fell for the trap of believing in a cause more than a faith.

In short, I too think that in many cases, American "evangelicals" have allowed themselves to be so distracted by social issues that they fail to approach doctrine and the Gospel with equal zeal. Without that foundation........of knowing what we know and why we know it.......we are just a group of people with a lot of opinions.

I would say "enjoy reading this", but I don't think there is much to enjoy about it.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0310/p09s01-coop.html

***I'm adding a disclaimer: I may not agree with nor regularly read the Christian Science Monitor, but I firmly agree with many of the points made in this article.

1 comment:

mommy4life said...

It should make most evangelicals uncomfortable. We should be able to defend out positions with scripture and have the zeal for scripture that now seems reserved for politics.