Monday, December 15, 2008

Craftiness out of necessity........or maybe just because I'm cheap

I was born into a crafty family. Whether out of need (due to lack of money) or desire, my mother spent a tremendous amount of time sewing and exploring various crafting opportunities. Once a year we would go to a huge craft show and my mother would decide what she would be making for people for Christmas that year. And she'd make it.

She sewed countless outfits, including all of my formal dresses.

Somewhere along the way, she decided I needed to learn how to sew. Initially she tried to teach me, but it became apparent that I'd inherited my father's patience (in that he doesn't have much) more than her skill behind a Singer.

Her next plan of attack was to have me take a sewing class in school. I guess she figured the threat of ending up in the principal's office would keep me from sassing my teacher the way I sassed her when she tried to teach me.

Fast forward 20 years (ack!). While I didn't inherit her sewing prowess (it comes easily to her...not so much for me), I did inherit her petulance for looking at something and being too cheap to buy it when I know I can make it myself.

That is why I am now in the middle of a sewing project of my own.

I have been going to a breast feeding support group ("hi, my name is Lesley and I'm a breast feeder") and noticed that a lot of the mom's had these nifty little nursing cover-ups. Since I am TOTALLY inept when it comes to breast feeding and trying to cover myself with a blanket, I decided I HAD to have one too.

I went to the breast feeding store and they were $35. THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS. For what is essentially a square of fabric with a loop around the neck.

I just couldn't make myself drop the cash (or debit card) and then the thought occurred to me: I could make that.

I Googled for nursing cover-ups (a.k.a. "Hooter Hiders") and in no time found directions for making my own. I am now 3/4 of the way through making one of my very own.

My mother will be so proud.

4 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

ROFL--"Hooter Hiders"--you are so funny! The next time I see someone cleverly covered up while they are breastfeeding, I will think "Hooter Hiders."

BTW, the lady that heads up my MOPS group puts her fourth child in this little contraption that she wears while she is standing up and running the meeting. She nurses him like that AND she has never flashed us. While running a meeting. Standing up! THAT is talent. Nursing in public is definately an art form!!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Imperfect Mom said...

I have to come clean and admit that I did not come up with the name "Hooter Hiders". If I were to make them to sell, I think I would call them "Bashful Breast Blankets".

I have a sling, but got the wrong size (supposedly you can nurse in them). If it ever gets warmer then 10 degrees, I'll go exchange it.

Chaos-Jamie said...

thirty-five dollars? Sha! I'd make it too!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Missing your clever posts! I hope you guys had a terrific holiday and all is well!