Thursday, October 23, 2008

THEN What Happened??

Am I alone in this?

I have always loved a good chick flick or romantic novel. Sure, you know how it will end, but I still love them.

It's an escape for me.

However, there is one thing that absolutely drives me NUTS about these types of movies and books.

I want to know what happens NEXT.

Right now I'm watching Dirty Dancing for the millionth time and find myself wanting to know, for the millionth time, what happens after that final dance. Do Baby and Johnny find a way to make it work? Marry and have 2.5 kids?

I also wonder why the "pretty" sister in Dirty Dancing looks like Freddie Mercury, but that's beside the point.

I'm the same way with books. Once the couple gets together in the end, I feel oddly ripped off when I don't know how far their relationship goes.

Of course IF they show you what happens "next" it's usually an indication that someone's about to be tragically killed in a car accident or get a terminal illness.

That sort of thing kills the romance, you know?

So am I the only one that feels this way?

5 comments:

mommy4life said...

They don't show you what happens next because it isn't nearly as exciting. Arguments over the toilet seat and dirty socks and sleepless nights with an infant just don't get our romantic endorphins flowing the same way, but I too get frustrated.....

Nurse Boy said...

Not me! I prefer it that way. They are just ignoring the grunt filled mornings and nightly bedtime gas. (I am speaking of the Mr., of course. I NEVER grunt, much less have gas.) I like to remember the romance when we were always clean, pleasently fragrant, and looking our best at ALL times. This time is special in its own right, but I don't need to watch it on TV. I am living it. :0)

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Nurse Boy said...

So what you gals are saying is even if they make it, they really aren't making it becasue living with men stinks. Literaly, according to Mrs. Nurse Boy. With this in mind can I never go to another romantic comedy again?

Imperfect Mom said...

I just want to KNOW what happens next. Add one of those extras like they do at the end of "based on a true story"-movies.

Just add a little blurb at the end that says something like "Baby and Johnny returned with their three children to whatevertheplaceiscalled for their 50th anniversary. They are still doing the Pachanga."

This girl needs some closure, that's all.

Nurse Boy - you go to romantic comedies? And while we're on the subject, let's be frank. Men smell more then women. We're sugar and spice and everything nice. Men are snips and snails and puppy dog tails. Have you ever smelled a puppy dog tail? Me neither, but I'm guessing it's not as pleasant as sugar and spice (ever seen a puppy dog tail-scented candle? Neither have I.).

Mrs. Nurse Boy - you can get Mr. Nurse Boy to go to romantic comedies? You have to share your secret!

Nurse Boy said...

Some men are just sensitive.

Plus 5 romantic comedies+2 nights of talking without distraction=1 action flick on the open market.

A mans got to do what a mans got to do.