Monday, October 20, 2008

Indiana Jones and 8 Year Old Boys

I know it's risky to make two posts in one day. Inevidably people will ignore one and read the other, but I'm a "fly by the seat of my pants"-kinda gal, so I'll risk it.

With all the talk about he new little guy, I haven't shared any AM stories lately.

I have one.

It turns out that no matter how often you tell an eight year old boy "REAL archaeologists don't have adventures like Indiana Jones. They don't get chased by bad guys and don't have to swing across bottomless pits with their trusty whip."...........well, they don't really listen.

Because they really, really, really want to believe that someday their lives will be that exciting.

Sometimes, they don't even wait for "someday".

Take Sunday, for example.

I was sitting on the deck going through a box of baby stuff MotH unearthed in attic. AM was playing with his whip (part of a package deal offered at 50% off at Joanns and NOT A REAL WHIP). I suggested he put a ball on his t-ball stand and try to "whip" the ball off the stand.

That kept him busy for a good, long time.

Then I heard it. A distinct series of thuds.

I looked up and he was face-down at the bottom of the slide (Indiana Jones hat STILL in place atop his head). I asked if he was okay (he was) and asked what happened.

I already knew what happened. The whip trailing down the slide told the story.

He had tied the end to the swingset and tried to repel down the slide with his whip. Didn't work out very well.

Although I am proud to say that while he hates tying his shoes, he can apparently make a knot (in a costume-quality Indiana Jones whip) well enough to support the weight of an eight year old boy. The whip didn't fail, he just hadn't anticipated how hard it would be to hold on.

Undeterred, he used the whip to climb back up the slide. Singing the Indiana Jones theme-song at the top of his lungs the entire time. However, I didn't see him try the repelling trick again.

MotH was very impressed by this story (thus further highlighting the difference between men and women). I simply surrendered to the fact that no matter what you do, eight year boys are going to wish SO BADLY that there are adventures out there waiting to be discovered, that they will try to create the adventure themselves.

Even if it's down a yellow slide, rather then a bottomless pit.

No comments: