Thursday, September 18, 2008

Pregnancy brain

I remember having pregnancy brain while pregnant with AM. However, I don't remember completely losing my ability to recall words and/or their spelling while pregnant.

Let this post stand as an open apology to anyone that has been forced to try and decipher something I've said or typed. I am sorry.

I will give you two examples.

One - the other day I wanted to ask MotH to get the milk out of the refrigerator. Seems simple enough, right? I ended up asking him to please get the milk out of the "big rectangle that keeps food cold". Would have been easier to say "refrigerator", right? I agree, assuming I could have recalled the word at that moment. I drew a blank.

Two - a couple of days ago, I was having a conversation via the 'net about the apple orchard we usually go to. I'm a little disappointed that we won't make it this year, but mentioned that my real disappointment stemmed from the fact that, and I quote, "I trotally wanted to make apple pumpkin muphens".

Yes, you read that right. M-U-P-H-E-N-S. Muphens. Sure, it's phonetically correct, but even spell check didn't know what to do with that one.

I substitute words that are close enough, but not quite right. Like saying "sit in your chair and eat your homework". See, when that happens it defeats the purpose of trying to get AM to be still and concentrate. He's too busy laughing at me.

I live in constant fear that I'll send out an email at work that makes the recipient think I'm one cuckoo short of a nest.

Who am I kidding. It's probably already happened.

The part that really concerns me? I recall that pregnancy brain didn't really get better after AM was born. So I'm left to wonder if this is a progressive disease? Will I be worse after this baby?

I'm not sure I want the answer to that.

For now, I'm off to eat a sinamun role.

8 comments:

Chaos-Jamie said...

I dunno. I can't be certain whether I regained my brain cells or just forgot that I used to have any.

mommy4life said...

I still struggle although now I blame it on being tired, or overwhelmed, or, or, or,

I can't think of any other excuses....

Imperfect Mom said...

Really encouraging, girls. Thanks :P

Chaos-Jamie said...

Did you want encouragement, or honesty? I was being transparent. That's what "they" say makes for better friendships.

I DON'T think you'll be driving the wrong way into traffic after he's born, if that is any help.

Nurse Boy said...

Just so you know, I am pretty transparent. I often spout out WAY too much information. I am pretty much an open book. On that note, it is pretty much down hill from here on out. After three kids, I am almost certain I could no longer hold down a full time job due to the loss of brain cells.

Just last week I sent water bottles in the boys' lunch boxes. Only, I forgot to put the water in. Lucky for me, a mother of six was doing lunch duty that day. She was probably thankful I didn't forget the sandwiches and apples.

I agree with Chaos...I think you will still be able to keep everyone alive and well.

Imperfect Mom said...

I come by absentmindedness very honestly, even when not effected by pregnancy brain :). The women in my family are known for remotes in the freezer, mixing bowls in with the towels and even leaving kitchen sponges in the mashed potatoes.

I'm genetically doomed anyway, so the pregnancy just adds the icing on the cake.

Nurse Boy said...

Why is it that every one of you is acting like you are spiraling down to becoming dumber than a box of rocks, yet every one of you has thought your husband was an idiot at lest once in the last week. I once opened the fridge and asked Mrs. Nurse Boy where the milk was.(this is one of her favorite stories) I know it is the big white gallon. All I am saying is that you need to quit whining about the pregnancy brain. At least you have something to blame it on. Now I have to stop typing on this computie thingie and go to that bid soft square in my room.

Imperfect Mom said...

It would appear that Nurse Boy is hormonal.