Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Peculiar Brand of Neurosis

I admit. I have an active imagination and even in the "best of times" can be a bit of a worrier.

I knew that another pregnancy would bring out that particular "beast", but for the most part, I've been quite good (aside from my freak-out at the doc's office a little over a month ago.......but I get a Mulligan, so that doesn't count).

Anyway, suffice to say I've given myself food for neurotic behavior this morning. Once I can actually talk to my doctor's office (and probably go in), I will fill you in (*snort* I fully realize "you" are fictional people).

To be continued........

Okay, I'm freshly back from the doc's office, neurosis extinguished.

Here's what I did. Yes, I know it was stupid.

I got suckered into buying an AngelSound home doppler so that we could listen to the baby's heartbeat at home. The reviews (thanks a whole lot, Amazon) are full of people extolling it's virtues: "I could hear the heartbeat clearly at 12 weeks!" "It puts a mom's mind at ease, because you can hear the heartbeat as early as 11 weeks!", etc...

I think they were hearing gas or something.

I received mine on Tuesday and eagerly dove right in. Covered myself in olive oil (don't laugh - they didn't send any gel and the instructions say olive oil works) and briefly found the heartbeat twice, though not long enough for MotH to get to hear it.

You know where this is going..........

I sat down last night to see if I could find it so dh could hear. I couldn't find it. I tried laying down. I tried sitting up. I tried every angle in between. Nadda. I could hear MY heartbeat. I could hear various "sounds" coming from my abdomen (I don't care to imagine what those might have been), but no heartbeat.

I thought "I'll try again in the morning". Guess what (you already know the answer)? Nothing, again. That's when the neurosis kicked in. Why could I find it two days ago, but not last night or this morning?!

After driving to the ob's office, all is well and I received a bit of a lecture about using a home unit this early in the pregnancy (which is NOT like the doctor's offices device....this one is supposed to be for entertainment purposes. I was really entertained.).

It's being put away until later in the pregnancy. I'm going to have MotH put it someplace where I can't reach it, so I'm not even tempted.

Told you it was something stupid.

At least my stomach is well moisturized now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL - With your history you have every right to worry. I would have done the same as you.

Lori/Snow

Imperfect Mom said...

I should be proud of myself. My ob told me I could come in "every day, if I need to" for reassurance and I've lasted until now. That's really saying something, since I swore I'd need my own room and cot in his office if I every got pregnant again :).

Mommy Beauty said...

Hey, I tried to leave a comment but it didn't stick for some reason. Anyway, I'm glad everything turned out okay! Bet you'll think twice before using that thing again. ;)

I'm so happy you have such a great doctor. I had a fantastic team and it made my pregnancy/delivery go so much more smoothly than others I've heard of around here.

Colleen Coble said...

I stumbled across your blog when I was looking for which bit to use in the Dremel for grout removal. You are hilarious! Our son and his wife are presenting us with our first grancdhiild (a girl) in Sept and I was so tempted by of those heartbeat units. I think you just saved me from buying one! LOL