Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Update

Let me make a confession.

It turns out I'm not really bloggerific.

Oh, I like to talk. Scratch that. I LOVE to talk.

If you were to go back and look at all of my report cards as a child, you would see that all of them share a common theme. "Nice kid, but she talks too much."

I haven't really changed much.

Yet, oddly, that "skill" doesn't seem to transfer to my blog. Go figure.

I'm going to use this post to update people on the adoption progress.

Actually, can you call something that is basically standing still progress? "Slow and steady" doesn't really begin to describe it.

China has changed a LOT since we attended our first meeting. Oh it's still a "reliable" process, so long as your definition of "reliable" begins and ends with "eventually you'll have a child".

AM may be graduating highschool at the same time, but hey, who doesn't want to be a new parent with kids 18 years apart.

The last batch of referrals only covered two days. As in one-two. Two.

That's not good. Especially considering we are 228 days PAST the last date of referrals, which happens to be Oct. 27, 2005.

Now it's important to note that nobody expects China to continue referring two days at a time (TWO DAYS!), but nearly everyone is now expecting the wait to grow at LEAST 1/2 month for every month of referrals.

That basically means it will be a long, long time before there is a baby waiting for us.

There aren't fewer babies in China (by most accounts), but China is refusing to increase the number of babies leaving.....while allowing more countries to participate in it's program. The result: same number of babies leaving the country, lots more people trying to adopt those babies.

In fact, some US agencies are no longer accepting applications into their China programs. They expect people with recent log-in dates to wait around three years. Maybe longer.

If we're honest, we'll be lucky to have a referral in 2008.

So where does that leave us. I don't know. I don't have any answers right now.

Nobody has any answers. Not our agency, not the other families waiting with us. Nobody.

So what's a family to do when they don't want their kids 7/8+ years apart in age and, quite frankly, don't want to wait another year or two to grow their family?

Again, no real answers.

So for now, just pray for us. I suppose I sound "downtrodden" in this post, and really I'm not. I know that this is part of God's plan. Never said I had to LIKE the plan, but it's His plan nevertheless :).

I will be posting something a little more "lighthearted" in the coming days. Stay tuned.

No comments: